Thursday, June 11, 2020

Essential Questions Post #3

The following blog will consist of my own ideas/thoughts and research from both books and online sources. It will address the following question:



How can you be an effective leader of change in your school?

Na Kumu Alaka'i - Hawaii's Teacher Leader Academy (TLA): Aloha ...


Two years ago, I contemplated exploring the possibility of leaving the classroom and transitioning to the world of instructional coaching. It was then when I asked myself:


“Am I a teacher leader?”


If I would’ve asked myself the same exact question within the first five years of my career, I would have flat out said, “No...not really.” I felt comfortable and confident in the decisions I made within the four walls of my classroom. Knight (2007) makes it clear that teachers will often take the path of least resistance, just like their students. I knew I was making an impact on my students’ learning experiences each and every day. I participated in both district and building PD, turned in my weekly lesson plans, and completed and posted quarterly grades. I knew I was making an impact on my students’ learning experiences each and every day. I was content with that. I needed nothing else. 


It was around year six of my career that I started noticing a much different feeling. The same everyday contentment I felt before no longer served me anymore. Couros (2015) said it best, “We rarely create something different until we experience something different” (p. 89). It was this year that I decided to make and embrace change. By doing so, I felt this was the perfect opportunity to start a new chapter in my career! I moved from fourth to fifth grade, as well as became our “building technology coordinator”. I volunteered to serve on our district’s science curriculum writing committee. 


By stepping out of my comfort zone, I was able to take on new roles and responsibilities. For the next five years I grew. I learned. I created. I taught. I shared. I failed. I reflected. I collaborated. I coached. I supported. Had I not taken that  leap of faith back then, I don’t believe I would be where I am today. 


I recently read an article by Elena Aguilar (2010) on becoming a teacher leader. Augilar (2013) mentions several attributes of leadership that principals look for when developing teacher leaders within their building. 

They are:

-teachers who are thinking outside of their classrooms

-teachers who take risks within their classroom 

-teachers who aren't afraid to say that they don't know something

-teachers who aren't afraid to share what they do know



So...are you interested in becoming a teacher leader? If so, ask yourself some of these questions that Reinen (2020) shared on the “Teach. Train. Love” Blog. Take time to reflect. 


  1. Do I positively contribute to my school culture and climate?

  2. Do I seek unique ways to share my knowledge and expertise with others?

  3. Do I work with administrative leaders to improve school practices?

  4. Do I facilitate professional learning activities?

  5. Do I keep my classroom door open and welcome others to observe my teaching?

  6. Do I work well in a team and seek input from every member?

  7. Do I find ways to celebrate others?

  8. Am I innovative?

  9. Do I inspire?

  10.  Am I eager to serve?




Resources:

Aguilar, E. (2010, June 14). Becoming a Teacher Leader. Retrieved June 10, 2020, from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/teacher-leader-definition-role


Reinen, B. (2020, May 29). Am I a Teacher Leader? Retrieved June 10, 2020, from http://teachtrainlove.com/am-i-a-teacher-leader/


Couros, G. (2015). The Innovator's Mindset. San Diego: Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.


Knight, J. (2007). Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment